SASO 2022 Invitation to Participate in Olympiads
|SOUTH AFRICAN NATURAL, LIFE & PHYSICAL SCIENCES OLYMPIADS 2022
(ORGANISED BY NATIONAL SCIENCE OLYMPIAD)
|Robin Cell : 083 267 7055
Robin Tel : 011 3182027
|P.O. Box 2611
SOUTH AFRICAN SCIENCE OLYMPIADS
10 JANUARY 2022
NATURAL SCIENCES: GRADES 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9
LIFE SCIENCES (BIOLOGY): GRADES 10 & 11. PHYSICAL SCIENCES: GRADES 10 & 11.
The National Science Olympiad Committee invites your school to participate in the 26TH SOUTH AFRICAN SCIENCE OLYMPIADS IN NATURAL, LIFE & PHYSICAL SCIENCES IN AUGUST 2022. We want to be flexible and also engage with you in novel ways due to the impact of COVID.
OUR FEE STRUCTURE FOR 2022 HAS BEEN CHANGED IN TERMS OF OUR NEW HYBRID PARTICIPATION MODEL.
NEW ENTRY FEE STRUCTURE – PLEASE CHOOSE AND CALCULATE CORRECTLY.
1. R 15 – schools that will print their own papers and also do their own marking.
2. R 20 – schools that will print their own papers and NOT do the marking.
3. R 25 – schools that will not print their own papers but will do their own marking
4. R 30 for schools that do not wish to print or mark their own papers.
5. R 35 for late entries received after 10 July 2022 – no printing for this entry.
6. For entry types 3 & 4 above – Pay + R 100 per school if entering less than 10.
DATE OF CONTEST: Tuesday 02 AUGUST 2022 (Natural Science + Life Science)
DATE OF CONTEST: Thursday 04 AUGUST 2022 (Physical Science)
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES: 10 JULY 2022 for Entry Types 1 & 2 above.
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES: 31 MAY 2022 for Entry Types 3 & 4 above.
REVISION BOOKLETS: Revision books for Grades 4 – 11 may be ordered at R35 each (minimum 4 booklets per order). Order past papers by email (email@example.com). Please pay an extra R 100, per school order, for package and postage. Past papers cannot be ordered after 30 MAY 2022. Orders must be placed 21 days in advance of expected delivery. We will hold training webinars for teachers & selected students.
STRUCTURE OF PAPER AND PROGRAMME
- Questions will be based mainly (about 90%) on the core knowledge and concepts as outlined in CAPS.
- Questions cater for a developmental approach and encourage the participation of gifted and average learners.
- Papers will be printed in English – ALL SCHOOLS will receive a copy of the English version.
- Afrikaans translations will be available on request (digital by email only – SO PAY ONLY R15) and by arrangement. Indicate Afrikaans on separate entry forms
- Candidates will answer 30 OBJECTIVE TYPE QUESTIONS (MCQs) on our special answer sheets.
- Duration of paper: 2 hours (all grades) – may be written at any time of the day as per your convenience.
- Principals are kindly requested to arrange invigilators who DO NOT teach NATURAL, LIFE OR PHYSICAL SCIENCES.
- Printed question papers and answer sheets (only for schools with entry types 3 or 4) will be posted by 22 JULY 2022 by registered mail. Please email /message (Robin) for a tracking number and collect registered mail from the post office. Please supply correct details and accurate postage addresses on all forms.
- Other digital papers (e-papers) will be sent by email on 1 August 2022 (NS & LS) and on 3 August 2022 (PS).
- PLATINUM CERTIFICATES ONLY will be awarded to all candidates who obtain a mark of 90% or more.
GOLD CERTIFICATES ONLY will be awarded to all candidates who obtain a mark of 80% to 89%.
SILVER CERTIFICATES ONLY will be awarded to all candidates who obtain a mark of 60% TO 79%.
ALL OTHER LEARNERS will receive a PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATE (1% TO 59%).
- 3. Each SCHOOL will ALSO receive a PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATE.
- Awards will be made to the TOP THREE SCHOOLS IN EACH GRADE, whose candidates have attained the best ten (10) positions on aggregate in each grade. Schools with less than 10 entries in a grade will not be considered for aggregate awards in that grade.
- Special awards (Medals) to TOP PUPILS (1ST, 2ND AND 3RD), SCHOOL (HIGHEST NUMBER OF ENTRIES in total) and TEACHERS (FIRST THREE in each grade) will be made at the discretion of the organisers according to the rankings.
These SCIENCE OLYMPIADS for Grades 4 to 11 are recognised at Provincial, National, DBE, DST and International levels. Participants in competitions of this nature may be recognised and credited by certain tertiary institutions and bursars, with winners sometimes qualifying for additional points and fee discounts. Olympiad participants are generally viewed favourably by companies because of the acknowledgement of their creative talents and intellect.
INTERNATIONAL REPRESENTATION AND SELECTION
The top students may be SHORT-LISTED and invited to write selection tests/exams to represent South Africa at 1 of 4 Internationals.
Selected students also receive training in Theory and Practicals from our specialist Science Lecturers and Teachers before the events.
South African Teams will participate in the following Internationals in 2022.
- 52nd IPHO – scheduled for Belarus in July 2022 for Physics students in Grades 11/12
- 32nd IBO – scheduled for Yereven (Armenia) from 10 to 18 July 2022 for Biology students in Grades 11/12.
- 53rd ICHO – scheduled for Tianjin (China) in July 2022 for Chemistry students in Grades 11/12.
- 18th IJSO scheduled for Ukraine in December 2022 for Natural Science students (still U16- born before 31 Dec 2007).
We look forward to your participation.
ROBIN N. (CO-ORDINATOR – SA SCIENCE OLYMPIADS) Website: www.scienceolympiad.co.za
Ex Biology Educator / Senior Lecturer (SCE)/ Subject Advisor (DBE) / Head of Department (Buffelsdale Secondary and Springfield College)
Ex-IJSO African Vice-President / SA IBO Leader / SA IJSO Team Leader
SA International Liaison / Co-Ordinator for IBO / ICHO / IPHO / IJSO